- Did you find the dog in this illustration of cows? How long did it take you?
Games like this are called hidden object games, and people just love to play them. Today, we play them online, with games like Mystery Case Files and Little Shop of Treasures. But perhaps the most iconic hidden object game of all time is the Where’s Waldo series of books.
- Here are 12 things you may not have known about Where’s Waldo, courtesy of Buzzfeed:
1. While there have been numerous spin-off books, there are currently seven pictures books in the main Waldo storyline with the most recent, The Incredible Paper Chase, having been published in 2009.
2. Known as Wally in his native England and Waldo in the U.S. and Canada, the main character of the series has many other localized names including:
- French – Charlie
- Hindi – Hetti
- Norway – Willy
- Croatian – Jura
- German – Walter
- Danish – Holger
3. In 2011, 3,872 people gather in downtown Dublin to break the Guinness World Record for the largest gathering of people dressed as Waldo.
4. The offending cartoon breast that caused Where’s Waldo to appear on the ALA top 100 banned books list from 1990-1999 was covered up in the 1997 special release.
5. The 1989 release of The Great Waldo Search was the first instance to show Waldo was from the “Land of Wallies” which would become a staple final scene in future Waldo books.
6. Waldo traveled alone at first but in subsequent novels more characters were added.
– Odlaw was the Wario to Waldo’s Mario. First appearing in The Magnificent Poster Book (1991), Odlaw was narrated as evil though he never appears to be committing dastardly acts in the books.
– Wizard Whitebeard first showed up in The Great Waldo Search (1989) as the person responsible for helping Waldo discover the truth about himself and his past.
– Wilma appeared in The Ultimate Fun Book (1990) but then explicably was replaced by her twin sister/doppelganger Wenda for In Hollywood (1993).
– Woof also debuted in The Ultimate Fun Book (1990) but was defined only by his tail until his full body appearance on the last page of The Wonder Book (1997).
7. Having been the focus of six different video games (the most recent of which being mobile versions of the books for iPhone), the Waldo NES game has the distinction of being one of the worst console games ever created.
Continue this story on the next page!