Receding gums lines can cause embarrassment and discomfort. According to Web MD, gum line recession is when your gums begin to pull away from your teeth, creating a gap that can lead to a build-up of bacteria. A few common causes are heredity, gum disease, improper hygiene, and smoking.
Gum recession is not something you should ignore, and it will not go away on its own. If left untreated, receding gums can cause infection and eventually tooth decay. However, don’t feel like all is lost when you see signs of receding gums. You have options. Let’s talk about what you can do about it.
1. Oil pulling: Find Home Remedy suggests oil pulling to remove receding gums. Sesame oil is a great substitute mouthwash because it has properties that fight against tartar and plaque build-up. You can use this remedy to combat gum recession before it begins.
Simply use a quarter of a cup of sesame oil to swish around your mouth. Warming the oil helps activate compounds that protect gums and teeth from toxins. Additionally, the warm layer of oil coats the skin and creates a temporary barrier from bacteria.
2. Green tea: Green tea can be used to soothe inflamed gums and destroy bacteria that can lead to serious infection. To use, drink a warm cup of green tea every day to keep gums healthy and strong.
3. Aloe Vera: According to Rapid Home Remedies, aloe vera is known for its inflammatory and antibacterial abilities that can be used to protect the gums from infection or treat existing infection. All you’ve got to do is use the gel to brush your teeth or as a mouthwash after each meal.
4. Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus is an essential oil that kills bacteria in the mouth and also works as an anti-inflammatory for swollen, infected gums. Its protective properties stimulate tissue growth and repairs damaged gums.
Simply rub a small amount of oil directly on the gums. Allow it to set for a few moments before rinsing away with fresh water. Daily use will help promote healing to infected gums and protect your mouth from harmful toxins.
5. Myrrh: Myrrh is a type of resin that can be used to treat receding gums. According to Find Home Remedy, it works to strengthen the gums and make them less susceptible to bacteria and infection. To use, you can use myrrh as a simple rinse that you use a few times per day or as a paste that sets directly on the gums to treat a particular area in the mouth.
6. Yarrow: Yarrow has antiseptic and astringent qualities that work to cleanse and repair damaged gums. All you’ve got to do is rub the flowers or the leaves over your gums to help keep gums clean and mend existing damage.
How do you treat damaged and receding gums? Share this information to keep the conversation going.