A family dog prevented what could have become tragedy for a Tennessee family.
Bryan and Alicia Holloway were relaxing in their backyard in Sevierville, when their 18-month-old son, Bryson, stepped outside on the porch to join them.
That’s when their Australian shepherd, Shiloh, noticed something was wrong.
“Shiloh jumped up and took off after [Bryson],” Bryan told WBTW. “He lunged right towards the baby and at the baby’s feet, and when he did he kind of jerked back.”
A copperhead snake, one of the most venomous common snakes in the Southern U.S., was inches away from biting Bryson. Shiloh heroically jumped between the two and was bitten in the jaw.
“Turning his head to the side and shaking his head and you could tell he’d been hurt, that the snake had gotten him,” said Bryan.
“As furry as he is, and he has so much fur around his neck, you could visibly see the swelling.”
Luckily, Shiloh made a full recovery after being rushed to the vet. Bryan reports that Shiloh and his son are the best of friends and he’s happy they could be reunited.
“They just do everything together,” Bryan said. “As much as he loves everybody else, those two, the baby and that dog, have a bond.”
Copperhead snakes usually don’t pose a lethal threat to adults, unless the bite is left untreated.